Impulses (Apr 2015 Edition)

Jarad Heimer, 5th Year
“I want to go into industry, particularly cardiovascular devices. My little brother has severe heart problems – SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) and a couple other things doctors aren’t sure about right now. That just kind of drove me towards this subset of BME … I want to go with something to make a patient’s life easier – his life easier – and try to help as many people as I can in general.”

Pooja Mohapatra, 5th Year
“I’m really excited to graduate but at the same time I’m really sad because I’m going to miss my roommate, all my friends, my advisors – I’m really going to miss this school … and I will miss BME, I think it was a good pick for me. I liked the faculty within the department a lot and the students. Everyone started out so competitive in BMED 1300, out to kind of get each other, but it’s cool to see the transition to how everyone’s become so collaborative and willing to work with each other. That whole transition and being able to grow with my peers, I’m going to miss that a lot.”

David Namkoong, 2nd Year
“I’m interested in creating devices for sports and physical injury … I didn’t get into sports until my sophomore year of high school, when I started watching football and baseball. I noticed they seemed to have some protocol issues, how to handle severe injury, things like concussion testing or recovery from a MCL or ACL sprain. I’d like to delve into that and make devices or possibly medicine to help treat those injuries.”